Hey Ladies! This one’s for you.
Unfortunately, so many of us have bought the narrative that painful periods and the PMS “rollercoaster” are normal. We either accept the monthly suffering, or we take strong medications that mask the dysfunction, or we accept the hormonal birth control that is prescribed to us. We are told that medications are going to help us operate more normally. We’re told that hormonal birth control will fix our problems.
Here’s the truth: Neither medications nor hormonal birth control can fix your true period problems sis. However, they do a great job of masking your symptoms of menstrual dysfunction and giving you an illusion of normalcy. Although it is common, it’s NOT normal for you to have severe cramps, intense cravings, and a wild rollercoaster of PMS.
Here’s some hope: You can reset your period! …without the pharmaceuticals
The chronic stress, inflammatory diet, and physical inactivity that is common in our culture plays a huge role. Those are three major players that we can influence to help restore our hormonal balance. As you begin to reset your cycle, you should also begin to see improvements in your mood, energy, skin health, and more.
Here’s a few tips to start the reset process.
- Decrease your intake of inflammation promoting foods (esp. alcohol, sugar, dairy, salt, fried and processed foods)
- Increase your consumption of water, fruits and vegetables.
- Don’t neglect your B vitamins that can help fight anemia and fatigue
- Challenge yourself to get at least 1,000 more steps or walk for 15 minutes every day for the next 30 days
- Identify 3 mindfulness strategies that help you to destress (not just the ones that look cool), then practice 1-2 of them each day. My favorites are Box Breathing, Mindful Stretching (e.g. yoga), Prayer, & Meditation.
Make sure that you stay plugged in via social media for more information on resetting your period throughout the rest of May.