This current global pandemic is the perfect opportunity for us to find ways to better support our immune system. So, whether you are fighting an infection, or trying to keep your immune system in the best position to fight off any virus….this is the perfect soup for you! Want to learn more about holistic ways to support your immune system. Read more about it here.
- 5 oz Shiitake Mushrooms – substitute: Reishi or Chaga mushrooms | don’t like mushrooms? don’t worry you can take them out early in the cooking process. You’re gonna want those immune supporting & anti-inflammatory properties in your soup.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 12 oz Frozen Kale – substitute: chopped, fresh kale
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Tbsp minced Garlic – substitute: minced, fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup Ginger Root (fresh, raw, about 6-8 inches of ginger root)
- 2 Tbps Tumeric Root (fresh, raw, about 3-4 inches of tumeric root)
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 3-4 cups Vegetable Broth – substitute: water and 1-1.5 vegetable bullion cube | for a non-vegan recipe, you can use a low sodium chicken broth instead.
- Optional spices: garlic salt (to taste), garlic pepper (to taste), or cayenne (to taste)
For a creamier soup, mix in some non-dairy milk at the end of the cooking process. I recommend almond milk or oat milk for this recipe.
- rinse the mushrooms, sweet potatoes, ginger root & tumeric root.
- if desired, you can peel the skin of the sweet potatoes, ginger and tumeric
- chop onion, sweet potato, ginger root & tumeric root
- (optional: mince garlic if using fresh garlic)
- take frozen kale out of the freezer
- Boil ginger, garlic, onion and tumeric. [use enough water to cover it]. boil for a few minutes, then reduce heat and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes. — If you don’t like mushrooms, boil them in this step instead
- Remove ginger, and tumeric. — remove mushrooms, if desired.
- Add sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and kale. Cover with vegetable broth (or water + bullion cube). Add black pepper and and other optional spices.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. (full disclosure: I didn’t actually time this part).
- Serve & Enjoy
loading nutrition facts…